[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Re: PR comments on 'Save as

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Tue Jul 12 05:29:16 EDT 2016

Hi Martin

Certainly we can move on and consider how the design of Sugar can be
improved.

The keep button was valuable, but was somehow 'deprecated' as modern
jargon has it. It had the function of saving the working document while
allowing the user to continue working. Apparently, the designers thought
this should be done automatically, so a button was not needed.

'Save as' is used to allow the user to open a document and then give it
a new name (or in most systems, a location). The keep button, to my
recollection, never had the ability to change the title since that could
be done at any time in the 'activity' entry. This entry subsequently
moved down to the activity palette.
In the current sugar-web-activities it is only a label. So the 'save as'
alert is certainly needed for sugar-web-activities but is beyond the
current scope.

In general design discussions should depend heavily on input from users.
The stop button was restored when the mistake of subordinating it was
recognized.
However, the problem with the frame popping out when the XO-1 user moves
the cursor to the stop button has seems never to have been recognized.
The alert requiring a description was also removed after user complaint.
This feature stopped the user for a description of a project entitled
'Write.activity' when it could have been used to get a user-supplied title.

My recollection is that this decision was based on a sense that the
Journal was under-utilized. I wish more attention had been paid to
exploring the problem before implementing a solution. At one of the
Uruguay summits, the developers decided on a Journal hackathon and
repaired to a separate room. This was remarkable because there were many
users of Sugar at the Summit available to discuss the Journal and give
feedback on its use, provide suggestions for improvements, and give
opinions on the changes the developers planned to hack on.

There may have been discussion about the change to resume from the Home
View. I don't remember it, the feature just appeared. It violated one of
the first principles of design: compatibility - the new mode was made
the default instead of a user-selectable option. I have been in several
classrooms where the teacher asked the students to open Browse only to
have several laptops start playing one of the locally-stored tunes they
were listening to before class.

The original concept that resume was done from the Journal and new
starts from the Home View was simple and logical. The activities are
tools which support user creation. Items in the Journal are instances of
using a tool. Calling them 'Write.activity' is misleading at best. The
item is not a Write.activity, it is a document created by the
Write.activity which should have a meaningful and relevant title.
Opening from the Home View is using the tool for a new project, resuming
an activity is just that, resuming work on an on-going project. This
difficulty in distinguishing the object from an instance is also seen in
object-oriented programming.

If you look at the current Journal, it puts significant information in a
'details' screen. This is accessed from a small arrow at the far right
of the line. This would be much more useful and used if the button were
to the left of the item title where users are looking.

Originally, the Journal worked by clicking on the item icon to launch
the associated activity. Today, moving the cursor to the icon pops up a
complicated menu.  The timing is such that you have to be very careful
and quick to select an option before the menu disappears. If the cursor
moves off the black for a millisecond, you have to start over.

A simple and common alternative, of course, is to open this menu by
toggling the right-click button. This would, of course, return the
user's click on the icon to launch the activity. Hover is great for
tooltips. However, I have never seen a reasoned explanation of why Sugar
doesn't want to use right-click.

My eyes are getting old, along with the rest of me. However, the XO
colors in the Home view prevent me from recognizing icons because of the
poor contrast in some of the color combinations.  I generally first
press alt to eliminate the colors to find the activity I am looking for.
While a clever trick with svg, I have never seen a discussion of the
learning benefit of this feature. I believe it is considered as a
identifying feature of Sugar like the Home View; however, this only
applies to the XO.

Tony