[Sugar-devel] Keep confusion, yet again

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 19:11:36 EDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 6:22 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> On 21.04.2010, at 23:57, Chris Ball wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> I think that's what we want; this new string will come up as
>>> untranslated in pootle, alerting translators to submit
>>> translations for the clearer string.
>>
>> Ah, that's fine.  (I assumed we'd want to use the old translations in
>> the meantime.)
>>
>> - Chris.
>
> The actual problem is that renaming the button does not help. The mouse-over balloon in Etoys says:
>
>        "Keep a copy of the current project in the Journal"
>
> It's no use.
>
> There are only two options IMHO:
>
> 1) Remove the button. If you want to copy an entry, use the Journal.
>
> 2) Make the button actually overwrite the entry. No silent auto-save on exit, but ask if save is desired.

I'd lean toward the first option. It's intended purpose was always to
be a convenience on top of auto-save, that simply forced a new
version. Once Sugar has full version support, and a Journal updated to
take advantage of it, restoring the Keep functionality as it exists
probably wouldn't cause problems anymore. Until then, I think the
auto-save is much friendlier than the usual prompt-on-quit, with the
possibility for lost work.

Eben