[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Re: PR comments on 'Save as

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Mon Jul 11 18:10:32 EDT 2016

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 11:10:13AM -0400, Dave Crossland wrote:
>On 11 July 2016 at 10:56, Martin Dengler <martin at martindengler.com> wrote:
>> On 11 Jul 2016, at 15:44, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:
>>> On 11 July 2016 at 10:40, Tony Anderson <tony_anderson at usa.net> wrote:
>>> I prefer 'Untitled' as it supports the intent of the alert - to request
>>> the user to supply a title.
>>
>> I also prefer Untitled, although I'm curious to hear why "xxx Activity"
>> would be better.
>>
>> Actually, 500 "Untitled"s are so much worse than 5 sets of 100
>> "Foo.activity", because (in my limited experience) kids who can read know
>> that "Speak activity" is different than "Write activity".

Hopefully this point is clear.

>> There are literally over a hundred emails about this design decision years
>> back - it was not done lightly. I didn't even participate and I was
>> exhausted by the debate.
>>

>I'm totally confused :) I thought this has only been discussed since June,
>for this year's GSOC?

I don't want to derial the GSOC projec.  If people are aware of all the
previous discussions and designs about save as / keep, sorry for the noise.  It
didn't sound like that to me.  Keep and something akin to "save as" has been
thought about and designed in to Sugar since [the original Human Interface
Guide](http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Human_Interface_Guidelines/The_Laptop_Experience/The_Journal):
the principles deprecating "save" and "save as" replaced it with "Keep", the
"keep button", or the idea of "keeping".  I will be flamed for suggesting
"Keep" is the same as "save as", but it's darn close.  Some design documents
and discussions, including the ones with the original sugar designers about
*removing* "Keep" and/or "Keep As" buttons, include:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Human_Interface_Guidelines/The_Laptop_Experience/The_Journal#The_Notion_of_.22Keeping.22
http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2010-April/023401.html
http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2010-April/023404.html
http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2010-April/023406.html