[IAEP] OLPC tablets and Nell in the wild?

Yama Ploskonka yamaplos at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 10:48:56 EDT 2012

But for this last one, I will avoid crossposting on this subject unless
something major happens (follow the Hackaday thread for more,) your
concern for what "teacherless" might mean was addressed there this morning

"Just like with Sesame Street, The only self learning here is a child
deciding to turn on an appliance. From there it's instructors(Human no
AI here) doing the teaching. Just as in as in Sesame Street, and in
bring & mortar class rooms the teachers are required to keep the lessons
engaging to keep the kids wanting to attend class. Not that I'm saying
this can't have value in helping disadvantaged persons, but it really is
going to depend on many creative long distant teacher as much it will
the kids. To hack the camera the kids had to know or figure out in some
manner there was a camera available that could be made to function.
Reads to me like that was a situation was set up so the kids could find
a route to get the camera working. Part of the research?"

As to reports from former research, there are blogs around, of all
kinds, but I have found little that would offer objective data on *what*
activity is being used how much, etc.

There has also been research in the US, also scant data.

My own research is worst... :-(
I should write, if I can't of success, at least about the several shades
of failure I have met. Boy, did I...