[IAEP] Questions About Solar Panels

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 2 01:27:31 EDT 2012

Hi Folks,

I have some solar panel questions. Today I started doing some testing of the solar panel I bought from Adam at the SF Summit. I have access to an XO, XO-1.5 and XO-1.75 so I wanted to test the performance will all 3 models. I started by leaving them unplugged and running all night to run the batteries down. That didn't work too well. They shut themselves down with power remaining.

This morning, after the fog burned off I put the XO-1.75, which I thought had a drained battery, and the panel outside in very bright sunlight. It was fully charged within an hour. I suspect that it still had some charge left when I started, so I will have to test it again.

Then I took the battery out and tried to run it with just the solar panel and no battery. I pressed the on button… it started to boot, but quit after the second chime. Wouldn't go beyond that.

I had planned to take the XO-1.5 out next, but noticed it still had some charge so I left it for another day.

Finally, I went to the XO. Its battery was definitely fully discharged and the charging light was flashing red and yellow when I tried to turn it on. I took it outside to the panel and pluged it in. I got a high pitched whining sound. Unplugged it and tried again, Same thing. Could get it to begin the start up, but didn't want to risk damaging the machine, so I decided to wait for advice from you folks.

Any suggestions for:
1) Why the XO-1.75 would not even complete the start up using the solar panel with the battery out?

2) What the high pitched whine on the XO could be when I tried to charge it and whether it indicates a malfunction that could damage the machine?

Thanks for reading. I look forward to your comments and suggestions.

Caryl