[IAEP] [support-gang] Peru Quest, beyond the quake

Yamandu Ploskonka yamaplos at bolinux.org
Tue Apr 20 10:57:36 EDT 2010

I do not known how open Google is to derivatives, they have some of the
best resources for topos nowadays, and at least for the area involved
near La Paz those maps are usable.

Anyway, for a game we do not need anything strictly "real".

One of the excitements of doing many of the Inca Roads is the many
ecological levels you cross, and that can be simulated and does not need
to correspond strictly with a topo.

Taking the Takesi Inca Road from La Paz you climb up to a pass around
14.000 feet and then go walking down from there.  It's chilly, sharp,
barren, lamas and sheep, a cobalt blue sky (and snow in winter), and
then you get to an area with peat, and eventually it starts to green
up.  Physically you can go from snow to lush tropical jungle in a single
day.

I have probably a thousand pictures of my time there.  Let's assume
someone puts a structure together for a learning game, I probably have a
picture that would fit anything there to show what a place looks like,
excepting maybe wildlife.

Now, if we could work with Sebastian and team to do a more Maya Quest
kind of thing...

Something that could connect US and otherworld people to what they will
be doing in Peru (I hear they will even cross into Bolivia around
July).  Hmm, Summer time.  Bummer.  Australia?

As Kennedy said, "it is not that America has good roads because it is
rich, it is rich because it has good roads".  The Inca roads cover what
are now 5 countries, totaling thousands of miles, and this was the best
network of roads *in the world* in the 15th century, all of it paved.
The Inca empire was *very* rich, though class inequality, very strict
and ruler-centered policies inhibited progress and innovation, which
eventually spelled out its doom.