[Sugar-devel] Physics license mixes GPLv3+ and zlib?

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Tue Jun 13 20:22:47 EDT 2017

On 13/06/17 17:55, James Cameron wrote:
> G'day Sebastian,
Good evening James,
> Is this license combination compatible?  GPLv3+ of Physics [1] with an
> embedded binary of pybox2d [2] under a zlib license.
I've no idea why you would ask me this, I am neither a licensing expert
nor, yet, a contributor to Physics.
I'm guessing because I am interested in Debian packaging? Indeed Physics
in Debian would be nice!

According to https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#ZLib :
 "License of ZLib (#ZLib): This is a free software license, and
compatible with the GPL."
> Also;
>
> - Physics has both COPYING and LICENSE with whitespace changes only,
>   which are GPLv3+; which should it be?
If the contents is the same, either one?
> - Physics/lib has LICENSE which is zlib,
>
> - Physics git, .tar.bz2 and .xo include lib/ binaries of pybox2d,
>
> - no documentation for building, except in a commit [3],
>
> I've also a local dfsg branch which changes imports and removes lib/
> to have dist_source write Physics-32.1~dfsg.tar.bz2 which can be
> imported by git-buildpackage.  If there is any other interest, I can
> push this branch and tag v32.1~dfsg, though the toolkit does not like
> text in version numbers.  Might this be fixed?
I don't understand what you mean with your last question.

For sure there's interest in having a
Debian-Free-Software-Guidelines-complying source to hopefully have
Debian distribute this activity. If you could push this branch then it
would be a good first step, then we could work together with pkg-sugar
Team to upload it. Physics should be among the desired activities for
Sugar Blend Huayruro <https://wiki.debian.org/SugarBlend/Huayruro>
project, not sure why it's not listed.