[Sugar-devel] Making contributions

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Mon Oct 31 11:20:27 EDT 2016

Hi, All

I am not a Sugar developer but support use of Sugar in school deployments.

Currently, we have a request from the developer community to test
release 0.110. This version is not available for the XO.
It is possible that the development environment could be used in a
primary school deployment on other platforms. While the Sugar website
(http://www.sugarlabs.org) claims support for  Sugar as a desktop for
gnu/linux; an update to the documentation of the installation process
for Sugar 0.110 as a desktop on gnu/linux is needed and would be a
valuable contribution.

I think a top priority would be a desktop for Raspbian (Debian). There
are also deployments using legacy laptops (32 and 64 bit Intel) that
could use a
Sugar desktop for Ubuntu.

An opportunity apparently exists to make Sugar available as a Windows 10
application (virtual or through the ubuntu collaboration).

Utkarsh Tiwari has used gif automation effectively to document ux for
Sugar - you may want to take a look at this to augment your screencast
tutorial.

In considering translation, it is important to consider the audience. I
think your team is in good position to judge whether a translation of
the 'setup' page would enable sufficient additional developers to
participate in Sugar development to justify the time. This could be
compared to a translation of user documentation such as the Help activity.

Personally, I believe that the goal of Sugar development is provide a
more powerful, effective and constructive learning environment for its
users, primary school children. The development environment is at most a
means to that end. Making Sugar available on more deployable platforms
is central to that goal.

Tony