[Sugar-devel] Community XO software builds

Samuel Greenfeld samuel at greenfeld.org
Wed May 6 23:21:35 EDT 2015

The obvious counterargument would be that a deployment might want to deploy
your XO-Next (whatever it is) alongside existing XO laptops, allowing all
of them to have the same configuration.

There's plenty of blame to go around in terms of re-inventing the wheel and
lack of communication.

There simply (and correct me if I'm wrong) are not the resources inside of
OLPC, outside, or combined at this time to maintain and update two separate
builds & build systems.

It amazes me how far we bend over backwards to avoid saying "end of life"
and "end of support".

I have seen a fair amount of interest, both publicly and privately, for
newer XO laptop builds.  But I don't think the requesters realize how much
work it takes to make one.

And I do not forsee anyone stepping up to get the XO-1.75 and XO-4 kernel &
drivers into a state they can be upstreamed or upgraded for newer Fedoras
unless a deployment really wants this instead of newer equipment.

Newer operating systems tend to require more disk space and RAM than the
predecessors.  We have seen this even within Fedora's lineage.

Since OLPC already appears to be going the Ubuntu LTS route, I would argue
it would be easiest to take everything that way, porting utilities as
required, and make that the final image & build system for XOs.

I only have a limited number of hours per week I can look into OLPC things,
but I'm tempted to take a look.