[Sugar-devel] Current status of GTK+ 3.x migration

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sat Dec 26 09:58:25 EST 2015

Quoting Tony Anderson (2015-12-26 19:53:47)
[Jonas wrote:]
>> True - either that or ditch the activities evidently too badly
>> maintained to work well with modern Sugar.
>
> Aye, There's the rub!
>
> Is the problem 'bad maintenance or none at all' or 'modern' Sugar.
> Certainly TuxMath is suffering from 'abandonment'. However, even
> abandoned code continues to run when the underlying support is there.
> In this case, programmers who were not involved in the development or
> maintenance of the code will have to figure out how to get it running
> again or rewrite it in Javascript.

Wrong: In this case all developers were involved at their various levels
of the chains of events but some of them were inactive: GTK+ developers
chose to improve their code beyond what a previous API could contain and
sensibly bumped API and kept alive the previous API for ages.  Sucrose
developers chose to build their code on top of GTK+ and sensibly handled
the API split of GTK+ including maintenance of a legacy interface for
ages.  Activity developers chose to build their code on top of Sucrose
and some of them sensibly migrated to new interfaces, but sadly some
activity developers did not react yet - and *that* is not sensible.

> The port of activities to GTK+ 3.x seems to have stalled because of
> the higher priority to re-implement activities such as TurtleBlocks in
> javascript. Consider the long-term job security in rewriting Sim City
> in javascript as a Sugar-web-activity.

Are you pointing fingers at other volunteers choosing to spend their
time in a way you disaprove of, or have you provided patches to migrate
some activities but have been turned down?

> In the case of gstreamer 0.1, I was able to find how to install the
> codecs:
[...]
> I am certainly sure that everyone is bored to tears on this subject
> since I have mentioned it so many times already.

Did you "mention" it through the appropriate issue tracker?

 - Jonas