[Sugar-devel] Current status of GTK+ 3.x migration

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Sat Dec 26 09:23:47 EST 2015

Hi, Jonas

True - either that or ditch the activities evidently too badly
maintained to work well with modern Sugar.

Aye, There's the rub!

Is the problem 'bad maintenance or none at all' or 'modern' Sugar.
Certainly TuxMath is suffering from 'abandonment'. However, even
abandoned code continues to run when the underlying support is there. In
this case, programmers who were not involved in the development or
maintenance of the code will
have to figure out how to get it running again or rewrite it in Javascript.

The port of activities to GTK+ 3.x seems to have stalled because of the
higher priority to re-implement activities such as
TurtleBlocks in javascript. Consider the long-term job security in
rewriting Sim City in javascript as a Sugar-web-activity.

Gstreamer

In the case of gstreamer 0.1, I was able to find how to install the codecs:

#script to enable webm, mp3, mp4, m4a, m4v for gstreamer-0.10
sudo cp libgstmad.so /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/
sudo chmod 755 /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstmad.so
sudo cp libmad.so.0 /usr/lib
sudo chmod 755 /usr/lib/libmad.so.0
sudo cp libgstfaad.so /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10
sudo chmod 755 /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstfaad.so
sudo cp libfaad.so.2.0.0 /usr/lib
sudo chmod 755 /usr/lib/libfaad.so.2.0.0
sudo yum install gstreamer-ffmpeg-0.10.13-8.fc18.i686.rpm
sudo ldconfig
sudo rm -rf /home/olpc/.gstreamer-0.10/registry.i386.bin

The script is the same for XO-1, XO-1.5, XO-1.75, XO-4 except that the
specific files must match the architecture. I have no idea where
/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10 went in gstreamer-1.0. As I recall,
gstreamer-1.0 does not provide the registry.i386.bin which is required
to register the codecs. Given the limited capacity of the XO what I do
not want to do is install whole repositories, just the necessary files.

I am certainly sure that everyone is bored to tears on this subject
since I have mentioned it so many times already.

Tony