[Sugar-devel] GSoC 2014 - Porting the Sugar core onto Python 3.x info

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 07:10:44 EDT 2014

On 9 March 2014 09:23, Ravi Kumar <upman16 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Daniel,
> So Improving the unit tests before the actual porting is a must, duely
> noted.
> If only >=3.3 is supported, all the activities HAVE to be ported to >=3.3
> as well.
> Don't you think supporting 2.7+ for a while will enable a smoother
> transition?

Oh I was think about sugar and I forgot about sugar-toolkit-gtk3. So yes,
we will have to keep compatibility with 2.7 in toolkit for a looong time.

> I also looked at the dependencies, telepathy doesn't seem to be ported to
> 3.3 yet,
> how do you think we should go about porting then?

Ugh. The only way I can think of approaching this is to port telepathy
upstream and then keep 2.7 compatibility in sugar until ported telepathy is
widely available in distros.

Honestly this makes me wonder if we should wait a bit more before porting
to python 3. At least until all our dependencies has been ported and
available in distros.