[Sugar-devel] About web activities, webkit2 and backward compatibility

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Tue May 21 15:04:44 EDT 2013

On 21 May 2013 20:31, Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo at laptop.org> wrote:

> Question for the sugar-web-activities framework developers:
>
> * With the actual implementation, do we _really_ need webkit2?

Probably not. It should be easy to give it a try, the API didn't change
that much.

> * If we continue going with webkit2, the only way to develop web
> activities, will be sugar-build. No real users can use that activities in a
> xo with sugar for at least 6 months more.

You will also need to figure out how to provide the equivalent of the shell
apisocket inside the activity. Same interface and partially different
implementation might work.

> I repeat, I know this was decided, but I think these are good enough
> arguments.

Personally I'm going to focus on building something that it's even worth
considering to backport. We are pretty far from that goal yet. I don't see
anything wrong with someone writing a backward compatible activity which
can run the sugar-html-* stuff though. I think we also said that when we
made the decision.