[Sugar-devel] Help activity future

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 21:17:35 EDT 2012

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 9:55 AM, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de> wrote:
> On 07/27/2012 02:46 PM, Manuel Kaufmann wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 9:19 AM, Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo at laptop.org>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> rst is yet "another markup" here, for a teacher or writer :)
>>> As you can see, the Help is being edited in the wiki now.
>>

>> Yes, I know. That's why I said: "I agree with you". When the wiki will
>> be finished we (developers) can take that content and convert them to
>> .rst
>>

> Ok, Gonzalo has a point that the first task is getting the context together.
> However if you want to convert that content to a markup later it makes sense
> to use a markup GNOME is using as at least the OLPC does ship with GNOME as
> well and GNOME is the community we interact with most. If we use the same
> tools we are much more likely to get contributions from GNOME as well.
>
> Regards,
>    Simon

As part of the question (I hope) is how do help pages get translated,
following the Gnome example of Mallard (and intltool) as a means of
closing the i18n/L10n loop is worth considering carefully.

On the one hand, I am loathe to impose any specific markup on doc
writers, willing to be content if they write any docs at all, on the
other hand (and wearing my L10n hat), I feel compelled to argue on
behalf of working with an eye towards presenting the docs to
localizers in a convenient format (as Mallard does via intltool
processing).

The greatest flaw of the existing Help activity is that it was created
without an eye towards i18n/L10n.

cjl
Sugar Labs Translation Team Coordinator