[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Record UI

Art Hunkins abhunkin at uncg.edu
Thu Mar 31 12:41:23 EDT 2011

Comments/suggestions regarding the Record UI:

1) I think Tom's ideas (http://www.flatlandfarm.de/blog/?p=283) are right on
target in re: audio recording. +1.

2) I'm unclear as to whether the oscilloscope ("measure-type") display is a
preview only, or is active during the entire record process. If the latter,
I fear for audio glitches (and if Record ends up audio-glitching, you are
likely to hear from me about it indefinitely!) Probably safer would be to
display oscilloscope only in preview mode, for setting appropriate record
level, and demoing (or otherwise exploring) other aspects of sound. (By
"preview" here, I refer to testing the record level.)

3) Let's keep in mind that Audacity is available as a Suger activity - at
least from the command line. It's full-featured, can edit soundfiles and be
used for all kinds of sound demos and displays. In my view, we should not
worry that Record doesn't include these features.

4) I dislike the lips icon intensely. Besides otherwise being misleading, it
suggests *voice* recording only (and probably only speech). The "ear" seems
much more appropriate, or (for that matter) a stylized waveform or
oscilloscope display. I see the primary application as the recording of
environmental (often nature) sounds, i.e., exploring the *world* of sound.

Art Hunkins