[Sugar-devel] [SPAM?]: Re: [DESIGN] Tabs in Browse

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Wed Aug 17 08:03:34 EDT 2011

On 08/17/2011 01:51 PM, Gary Martin wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> On 17 Aug 2011, at 10:20, Simon Schampijer<simon at schampijer.de>  wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> in the current version of Browse tabs are enabled by default. The tabs in Browse has been an unfinished Feature which mainly was meant to fix the issue of a web page opening a new window (this was then opened in a new tab automatically).
>>
>> The latest Browse does add the functionality to let the user add tabs, the '+' button in the toolbar [browse-toolbar]. Having several tabs open looks like [browse-tabs]. A few things to say here: the close icon is not sugarized. The coloring of the tabs is not in a Sugar style and the text does not elipsize - hence the tabs can have different sizes (see Firefox for an example here).
>>
>> I would propose as well to do something similar as Firefox in the latest version: placing the 'add tab' button next to the latest tab [firefox-tabs]. This has the nice side effect of not introducing yet another icon in the toolbar.
>
> Unless we show the tab bar at all times (i.e. when you only have one window open), how would a second tab ever be added (other than via a web page opening a new window)?

Firefox does show one tab all the time. It is true that this kills a bit
of space but I think I could live with that.

I checked in Safari: here you can only open links in a new tab
(apple-key when you click on the link as a shortcut). You can not open a
new empty tab and then type in the URL. That would be another option. We
could add the 'open in new tab' to the link palette and reserve as well
a short-cut if desired. Is less discoverable though (I had to look up
the docs to find it in Safari).

A completely non-tab approach do have smart phone UIs like the one for
the Galaxy S2. You can open here a new window. That would be similar
than opening a new Browse instance which was the original idea of
dealing with that use case. So navigating between the browser windows is
more natural on those UIs.

I would go with the first approach of showing a tab all time from the
above options.

> Regards,
> --Gary
>
> P.S. Perhaps we could land the sugarized scroll bar at the same time, if I remember we just didn't have a clean way to apply it the Mozilla theme. Pretty sure I spotted the tab visual theme in the same place.

Ahh, I remember that vaguely. If you know where it goes and can provide
a patch or something more crude for showing off, off we go! :)

Regards,
    Simon