[Sugar-devel] Moving to GTK3 and GObject Introspection

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Sun Aug 7 03:52:42 EDT 2011

On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 1:18 AM, Raul Gutierrez Segales
<raul.gutierrez.segales at collabora.co.uk> wrote:
> Today at the Desktop Summit Daniel Drake (working remotely), Benjamin
> Berg, Paul Proteus and me got the HelloWorld activity ported to gtk3 and
> running on a version of Sugar that doesn't use Hippo (based on the work
> we started with Walter and others to remove Hippo a couple of weeks
> ago).

Great work!!!

You should also be bragging about how you did this in less than *3
hours* - starting from nothing, not having ported code to PyGI before,
etc. This is pretty convincing to me that this migration isn't going
to generate too many headaches.

Also, I can't see these "lots of hacks" that you talk of - I only see
a few :) so that is great as well. And some of those things (e.g.
set_geometry_hints) could probably be addressed quite quickly by a
quick read of http://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/gtk-migrating-2-to-3.html
and/or a quick exchange with Tomeu.

It seems like the biggest remaining areas of uncertainty are sugarext
and the theme. Looking forward to what you can solidify during the
rest of the summit!

cheers,
Daniel