[Sugar-devel] Moving to GTK3 and GObject Introspection

Raul Gutierrez Segales raul.gutierrez.segales at collabora.co.uk
Sat Aug 6 20:18:51 EDT 2011

Hey,

On Fri, 2011-08-05 at 17:29 +0100, Daniel Drake wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 5:16 PM, Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo at laptop.org> wrote:
> > Ok, that is the reason because I have started a new different page.
> > We can start to research this API improvements anyway,
> > probably will not be the same people involved.
>
> That's true. The example you have there is actually an API addition,
> so could fall into any release cycle (I think) - so as you say, it
> doesn't have to be linked with this project.

Today at the Desktop Summit Daniel Drake (working remotely), Benjamin
Berg, Paul Proteus and me got the HelloWorld activity ported to gtk3 and
running on a version of Sugar that doesn't use Hippo (based on the work
we started with Walter and others to remove Hippo a couple of weeks
ago).

Code is here (gtk3 branches):

http://cgit.collabora.com/git/user/rgs/sugar/
http://cgit.collabora.com/git/user/rgs/sugar-toolkit/

The procedure, as suggested by Daniel, (I'll document this on the Wiki
before the Summit ends) was:

- remove Hippo (done previously)
- make a copies of sugar and jarabe and name them sugar-gtk3 and
  jarabe-gtk3
- make sure that you import sugar-gtk3 and jarabe-gtk3 all over the code
- port both of them to PyGObject/gtk3 using the pygi-convert.sh script
- port the HelloWorld activity to gtk3
- use a hacked version of sugar-activity that invokes sugar-gtk3
- update a couple of method calls to their new PyGObject API

and that was about it. Please note that this was a brute-force approach
(i.e.: lots of hacks and comments here and there) to proof if this is
conceptually possible (having gtk2 and gtk3 activities co-exist). And it
seems it'll work (and it'll be fun!).

I am planning on chasing Benjamin during the Summit to see if we can get
Sugar's theme ported :)

I'll keep the list updated with whatever progress we make and try to
document all of this on the Wiki so others can join in.

Cheers,
Raul