[Sugar-devel] Report on Sl# 2080 , Pulsing icon delayed by 5 seconds or so.

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 09:28:23 EDT 2010

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 6:35 AM, Martin Dengler <martin at martindengler.com> wrote:
> Again, thanks for this summary.  I think the thing to do is merge my
> patch for #2080 and then address the other issues.  I'll do that soon.

Hi Martin.

would it make sense to change (in toolkit) jarabe/view/icon.py to
optionally return the cairo object, instead of paint()ing it?

Then you can render the SVG once or twice (for zoom effect?), keep
those raster images cached in the pulsingicon object, and use Cairo's
paint_with_alpha() instead of straight paint().

Which will be fast. (Load/render your sprites only once, get creative
in how you blit them... )

The pulsing color combinations change (get simpler) with this.

To get back to what we have now (or an approximation) you could render
to black&white (and a reverse) and use them as masks, painting with
masked full color fills. A bit more work.

I'm following this tutorial -- mask() and paint_with_alpha() should be
enough. I am disappointed that I cannot see more advanced blitting
opts.

http://www.tortall.net/mu/wiki/CairoTutorial

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions