[Sugar-devel] Report on Sl# 2080 , Pulsing icon delayed by 5 seconds or so.

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Fri Nov 5 09:58:24 EDT 2010

On Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 09:28:23AM -0400, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 6:35 AM, Martin Dengler <martin at martindengler.com> wrote:
> > Again, thanks for this summary.  I think the thing to do is merge my
> > patch for #2080 and then address the other issues.  I'll do that
soon.

If I call this change #1...

> would it make sense to change (in toolkit) jarabe/view/icon.py to
> optionally return the cairo object, instead of paint()ing it?
>
> Then you can render the SVG once or twice (for zoom effect?), keep
> those raster images cached in the pulsingicon object, and use Cairo's
> paint_with_alpha() instead of straight paint().
>
> Which will be fast. (Load/render your sprites only once, get creative
> in how you blit them... )
>
> The pulsing color combinations change (get simpler) with this.

...and this change #2...

> To get back to what we have now (or an approximation) you could render
> to black&white (and a reverse) and use them as masks, painting with
> masked full color fills. A bit more work.

...and this change #3, I'll have a go at implementing #2 and #3 soon.
Since #1 is separate and an improvement from what we have now, it can
be merged earlier9 Unless there are issues, which I haven't seen yet).

> I'm following this tutorial -- mask() and paint_with_alpha() should be
> enough. I am disappointed that I cannot see more advanced blitting
> opts.
>
> http://www.tortall.net/mu/wiki/CairoTutorial

Thanks for the link - I've seen it before but it's always good to come
back to absorb a bit more.

Martin