[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Alerting users in case of write errors (sl#1842)

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Jun 14 02:22:14 EDT 2010

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 05:27:56PM +0530, Anish Mangal wrote:
> Thanks for the insightful responses. I have used a slightly modded
> version of NotifyAlert (aptly called NotifyRedAlert). A sample
> screen-capture can be found here...

Reviewed.  I don't like timed alerts, since we have no guarantee that
the attention span of the user is contiguous, and given the age of the
typical user perhaps it is even more fragmented than we might think.

Notification in synchronous response to user action should use the alert
mechanism as you have done, just without the timer.

Asynchronous notification is entirely different, since it relates to
actions by others, delayed response to actions by self, or system
events.  An invitation to join an activity uses an asynchronous
notification on the top left of the toolbar.

What we have *now* for asynchronous notification that are not
invitations ... can be seen as an icon that appears in the top right of
the toolbar.  It can be activated by typing this command at a shell
prompt:

	notify-send title "some text"

Unfortunately, in 0.84 at least, while the icon appears there seems to
be no way to obtain the notification text.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/