[Sugar-devel] Official homepages for activities are at laptop.org?

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sat May 30 14:50:49 EDT 2009

Hi Jonas,

>>> for activities at wiki.sugarlabs.org - and core introduction at
>>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Application_Stack points to some
>>> of the Sucrose activities at wiki.laptop.org.
>>>
>>> Is that correct?  Are official activity homepages at
>>> wiki.laptop.org?
>>
>> Are you looking for user oriented pages, or developer pages?
>
> This is what I am looking for (taken from Debian Policy §5.6.23 about
> the "Homepage" stanza):
>
>> The URL of the web site for this package, preferably (when
>> applicable)
>> the site from which the original source can be obtained and any
>> additional upstream documentation or information may be found.
>
> I am packaging software that was published by Sugarlabs.  So for the
> context of the package that I build for Debian, Sugarlabs is
> "upstream".
>
> I am looking for a single URL being the "home" (i.e. starting point
> for
> web browsing) of what Sugarlabs is providing, for each activity or
> Glucose part.

Just to wave another URL option in the air, each project on
git.sugarlabs.org can/does link to it's other resources, so for
example http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/labyrinth links both to it's
current web site and bug tracker component page.

>> The activities.sugarlabs.org Mozilla addons based site is intended to
>> be the user facing site, with wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activities/
>> <activity_name> being used for more technical notes activity if
>> needed.
>
> Well, I guess I mean eveloper pages, then.
>
> activities.s.o seems a dead end for anyone but _your_ users, as those
> pages seemingly link only to .xo files and homepages of _your_
> upstreams
> (Chat homepage is at OLPC, EToys homepage is at squeakland).
>
> Some Debian users arguably are your users too, but administrators of
> Debian systems are also Debian "users" and they want everything
> packaged
> and officially endorsed (a.k.a. "aged for some years" ;-) ) by Debian.
>
>> Activities that were OLPC deployed, generally have their pages still
>> on wiki.laptop.org, though as new (perhaps incompatible with 0.82)
>> releases are made this is slowly migrating over to SO.
>
> Ok.
>
> So links from http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Application_Stack
> should be updated?

Well spotted, hadn't seen this page before, I'm tempted to just remove
the individual Activity links that are here as it's not a full list
and will only get out of date again :-)

> Are links from http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activities then the right
> ones?

Yes they show all current wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activities/
<activity_name> pages, but authors only create such a page if they
have need to provide advanced/developer/technical/community type
information.

> Or are there no "right", but only "luck"?

We (ActivityTeam) are still trying to cat herd the willing and able
Activity authors over to SL infrastructure, as a FLOSS, 100% volunteer
community, this often feels like slow-motion juggling with water
balloons, in zero-gravity, but many 'balloons' are now at least
floating in a similar direction :-) *** It will take time.

*** The ActivityTeam can short circuit some of this by adopting
Activities, but that is not a scalable solution, and prevents the team
from getting on with other tasks.

Regards,
--Gary