[Sugar-devel] Official homepages for activities are at laptop.org?

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sat May 30 16:10:35 EDT 2009

Hi Gary and all others,

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 07:50:49PM +0100, Gary C Martin wrote:
>On 30 May 2009, at 19:05, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

>> I am packaging software that was published by Sugarlabs.  So for the
>> context of the package that I build for Debian, Sugarlabs is
>> "upstream".
>>
>> I am looking for a single URL being the "home" (i.e. starting point
>> for web browsing) of what Sugarlabs is providing, for each activity
>> or Glucose part.
>
>Just to wave another URL option in the air, each project on
>git.sugarlabs.org can/does link to it's other resources, so for
>example http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/labyrinth links both to it's
>current web site and bug tracker component page.

Ah, yes.  I knew that one, but forgot to bring it up here.

So far I have found the following component-soecific page types:

Documentation page: http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activities/*

User exhibit booth: http://activities.sugarlabs.org/*/sugar/addon/*

Development tracker: http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/*

I would have preferred a page not emphasizing any facet of the Sugar
community, but just the package itself.  A self-centered page, pointing
towards all the others with the real meat on it.

...and I guess what distracted me even further was that I took for
granted that the core activities, those in Fructose, were all properly
nursed at Sugarlabs.  I just picked Chat as my first ever activity to
package, and used that now for checking URLs too.  And that particular
Sucrose activity seemingly still feels more at home at OLPC (also at the
git page) :-/

>> Are links from http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activities then the right
>> ones?
>
>Yes they show all current wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activities/
><activity_name> pages, but authors only create such a page if they
>have need to provide advanced/developer/technical/community type
>information.

Ok.

>> Or are there no "right", but only "luck"?
>
>We (ActivityTeam) are still trying to cat herd the willing and able
>Activity authors over to SL infrastructure, as a FLOSS, 100% volunteer
>community, this often feels like slow-motion juggling with water
>balloons, in zero-gravity, but many 'balloons' are now at least
>floating in a similar direction :-) *** It will take time.
>
>*** The ActivityTeam can short circuit some of this by adopting
>Activities, but that is not a scalable solution, and prevents the team
>from getting on with other tasks.

It might help herding if it was more obvious where you are heading :-)

Thanks for helping me in understanding.  Hopefully this is useful for
others too.

  - Jonas

- --