[Sugar-devel] Official homepages for activities are at laptop.org?

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sat May 30 15:42:50 EDT 2009

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 01:37:55PM -0500, David Farning wrote:
>On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 1:05 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:

>> I am packaging software that was published by Sugarlabs.  So for the
>> context of the package that I build for Debian, Sugarlabs is
>> "upstream".
>>
>> I am looking for a single URL being the "home" (i.e. starting point
>> for web browsing) of what Sugarlabs is providing, for each activity
>> or Glucose part.
>
>Activities.sl.o is intentionally designed to decentralize the control
>of activity development anyone can upload their work to aslo to be
>distributed.  Before becoming 'public' new activities and versions of
>activities are given a review by the aslo editors.
>
>aslo is a distribution tool rather than a developer tool.

By that you mean a tool for _you_ to distribute, not a tool for
distributors, right?

I represent arguably the worlds largest distributor of prepackaged Free
Software.  For each package that we distribute, we want to advertise its
upstream through a single URL, which is then promoted to our users in
various ways, currently most prominently as a field in packaging tools
like aptitude.

All I ask is this: What are your package-specific URLs for us to
advertise?

>How is the issue handled when packaging mozilla addons?

Some use addons.m.o (and funnily enough greasemonkey is packaged by a
russian guy putting this as its homepage:
https://addons.mozilla.org/ru/firefox/addon/748 )

Some do not include a homepage.

Some use upstream project site (e.g. http://noscript.net/ )

If I were to package greasemonkey, I would no doubt use
http://www.greasespot.net/ as homepage.  Not because that's where it is
developed, but because that is its home.
https://addons.mozilla.org/ru/firefox/addon/748 is just an exhibition
booth hosted by the authors of its backend.

the reason I raise the question is that I care about Sugar, and I find
it sad that I cannot find an obvious "home" of each piece that it
consists of.  There are lots of places scattered all over, but no
"starting point" to explore each pice of the puzzle - be it as
developer, distributor, user or journalist.

  - Jonas

- --