[Sugar-devel] Sugar with Metacity (again)

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Mon May 25 11:44:00 EDT 2009

Am Montag, den 25.05.2009, 12:17 +0200 schrieb Bernie Innocenti:
> [cc += cwickert]
>
> On 05/25/09 12:10, Bernie Innocenti wrote:
> >>
> >> Ugh. That's a ton for a wm :-( Are there alternatives that "fit" better?
> >
> > Openbox, the window manager used by LXDE and other desktops, is only
> > slightly cheaper: 7.5MB RSS.
>
> Oops, I just realized I was measuring on x86_64, so that was an unfair
> comparison after all.  So Openbox's RSS on x86 is probably a good
> saving, if someone is interested in experimenting with it.
>
> Christoph Wickert has been working on making LXDE from Fedora available
> for the OLPC XO images.  Perhaps he'd like to give it a shot?

That was my plan.

Sorry for not popping in earlier, I have just subscribed to this list
after receiving Bernie's message.

Basically it should not be to hard to get Openbox working:
      * Window decoration can be turned of. I guess this is what we want
        for most windows.
      * Supports window matching rules:
        default windows -> fullscreen + no decoration
        dialogs -> centered, on top, ...
      * I already have the OLPC specific keyboard shortcuts from the
        work I did with LXDE
      * It can be started with different config files

I'm going to work on this, help and comments welcome.

Regards,
Christoph