[Sugar-devel] Sugar with Metacity (again)

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Mon May 25 06:17:37 EDT 2009

[cc += cwickert]

On 05/25/09 12:10, Bernie Innocenti wrote:
> On 05/25/09 11:19, Martin Langhoff wrote:
>> On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 7:30 PM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
>>> The only thing I didn't like very much is memory usage: 21MB VIRT, 10MB
>>> RSS.  But I suppose we can't do much about it.
>>
>> Ugh. That's a ton for a wm :-( Are there alternatives that "fit" better?
>
> Openbox, the window manager used by LXDE and other desktops, is only
> slightly cheaper: 7.5MB RSS.

Oops, I just realized I was measuring on x86_64, so that was an unfair
comparison after all.  So Openbox's RSS on x86 is probably a good
saving, if someone is interested in experimenting with it.

Christoph Wickert has been working on making LXDE from Fedora available
for the OLPC XO images.  Perhaps he'd like to give it a shot?