[Sugar-devel] Activities in Sucrose release cycle

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Wed May 20 13:54:17 EDT 2009

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 03:16:27PM +0200, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 15:40, Aleksey Lim <alsroot at member.fsf.org> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Do we really need activities in Sucrose release cycle?
>
> I think it helps with localization.
>
> > Think about issue with last Browse which doesn't run on sugar 0.82
> > (but old Browse from 0.82 didn't have needed feature).
> > Another problem - small but valuable fixes(like updating i18n for example)
> > deployers have to patch it by themselves.
> > Or in common, new activity versions in sucrose-0.85 release cycle, are
> > they so 0.85 centric that 0.84(0.82) users cant use these versions.
>
> Well, I think this is a matter of resources rather than of schedule.
> If people can modify browse in such a way that works with past
> versions, they should. But if it's too costly in matters of time...
>
> > These versions could be 0.85 centric but we could wrap all sucrose
> > related differences to toplevel API in separate package
> > (I use sugar-port for this purpose[1]).
> > For example on 0.84+ ObjectChooser(from sugar-port) will use
> > preselected mime type but on 0.82 only fake(errorless) code.
> > In that case activity authors can follow this API
> > and write sucrose independent activities.
>
> Perhaps we should try to do more of it in the sugar toolkit level?
if we will extract sugar-toolkit from sucrose :)

i.e. with ObjectChooser we have 3 options
* no selectable mime types for 0.82
* selectable mime types only for predefined types for 0.84
* custom selectable mime types for 0.86(at least I hope)

If activity author wants his activity to be runnable on 0.82-0.86
he can:
* add try..except/if code to activity
* add sugar-port/chooser.py to his project and use its API

But how sugar-toolkit can be useful in this situation?
So, we have to use non sucrose package, otherwise upgrading
sugar-toolkit-0.82 to 0.86(when the rest of system is 0.82).

--
Aleksey