[Sugar-devel] Activities in Sucrose release cycle

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Wed May 20 09:16:27 EDT 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 15:40, Aleksey Lim <alsroot at member.fsf.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Do we really need activities in Sucrose release cycle?

I think it helps with localization.

> Think about issue with last Browse which doesn't run on sugar 0.82
> (but old Browse from 0.82 didn't have needed feature).
> Another problem - small but valuable fixes(like updating i18n for example)
> deployers have to patch it by themselves.
> Or in common, new activity versions in sucrose-0.85 release cycle, are
> they so 0.85 centric that 0.84(0.82) users cant use these versions.

Well, I think this is a matter of resources rather than of schedule.
If people can modify browse in such a way that works with past
versions, they should. But if it's too costly in matters of time...

> These versions could be 0.85 centric but we could wrap all sucrose
> related differences to toplevel API in separate package
> (I use sugar-port for this purpose[1]).
> For example on 0.84+ ObjectChooser(from sugar-port) will use
> preselected mime type but on 0.82 only fake(errorless) code.
> In that case activity authors can follow this API
> and write sucrose independent activities.

Perhaps we should try to do more of it in the sugar toolkit level?

Regards,

Tomeu