[Sugar-devel] Bxl test session 2009-05-14

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu May 14 17:44:28 EDT 2009

We had a great gathering at home, with some great testers. Today,
after several tries, we finally got all the ingredients (laptops,
wifi, food, comfy location etc). Huge thanks to Giulia for a fantastic
pasta for dinner.

Here's a quick summary, and bug numbers:

• Turtleart works well! (numpy errors are gone)
• Paint activity
  ∘ painting works well, played wit brushes, special effect brushes, etc
  ∘ the canvas does not take all the screen (?)
• Activity startup (Paint, Browse, etc) leaves dummy "unknown
activity" icons in the frame. We couldn't narrow this down to steps to
repro :-/
• The "please name this entry" window is big and scary - -do we expect
6 year olds to know what to do? I can just navigate away from it, and
I guess that a crash or shutdown will lose my document.
• Sound out works well, and sound keys work well too!
• Story Builder
  ∘  works nice, sound works.
  ∘ Lesson plans display correctly
  ∘ Language, add my character, add my background buttons seem to be disabled?
• Speak
  ∘ - works well! Dutch pronounciation passes Alex'
  ∘ Spanish robot loops infinitely (#852)
• Pippy
  ∘ Camera works  (where present!)
  ∘ Playwave -- fails on sound.py line 154 "TypeERror:unsipported
operand type(s) for +: NonteType and   str
  ∘ Getsoundlist says: Please install tamtamedit's sound library
  ∘ Pong - plays well, but doesn't get the screen size rightthe bottom
of the screen is about 40 pix below the actual screensize. (on a high
res screen)
  ∘ On a small screen -- eeepc, 1024x600 -- Pippy unusable becasue the
fixed frame size covers the run/stop/clear buttons
• Poll - works!
• Sharing
  ∘ Removing collab server + restart, machines can see eachother if on
the same AP
  ∘ The first 2 users in failed to share: User 1  Shares a Write
activity -> User 2 cannot see it  -- this was a transient error, for
logs and details see bug #842
• Browse:
  ∘ Worked pretty well over all :-)
  ∘ Daily motion videos, slashdot, etc all worked well
  ∘ Can't attach logfiles easily :-(
  ∘ Browse has a progress bar, but no indication of "busy" -- any
connection with a bit of latency is very confusing ("did I click on
the submit button or not?") #851
• Moon
  ∘ Works on all the laptops with Intel video we tried
  ∘ Shows black squares on the block on 2 laptops. After much
comparison across machines, the common factor seems be Nvidia video
cards. (Alex will file with screenshot)
• Labyrinth works really well -- but it did take a visit to the
wikipage to understand how to use it ;-)
• Record -
  ∘ Alex' machine (which has camera) vid capture works but no sound
(neither built in nor mic in)
  ∘ On machines w/o camera it fails to record sound (#847) -- it'd be
nice if it could default to audio or hide video opts too if there's no
camera (#848)
  ∘ Sound is very low from built-in mic, and nonexistent from external
mic (#849)
• Joke machine: works well! My attempts at fart jokes collided with
Record not working :-(
• etoys
  ∘ it mostly works and it's a lot of fun, however,
  ∘ doesn't take all the screen and strange clipping makes some
objects offscreen. For example in Tutorials and Demos, the second
tutorial many objects are outside of the screen. This can be "Fixed"
by setting the "scaling" to "no scaling", but this prevents Sugar UI
elements from being displayed... (#850)

Phew. That's what we could see, do and write down today. SoaS is a lot
more usable and stable than a few weeks ago -- fantasic progress.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions