[Sugar-devel] More concrete design for easily installable device extensions?

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Mon May 11 12:04:38 EDT 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Gabriel Eirea <geirea at gmail.com> wrote:
> Excuse me if I jump into this discussion. There is a problem here in
> Uruguay related to this issue. Given the security system implemented
> by Ceibal, users don't have root access. This makes it very difficult
> to include changes in Sugar, like the clock described in the parent
> post.
>
> Would it be possible to devise an extension architecture that would
> allow to install extensions without root access? This would be very
> helpful for us.

A more feasible solution might to focus on rainbow, or another
security solution, and give users root when they upgrade.

Kludge on top of kludge, while easy to write, quickly becomes
difficult and expensive to maintain.

The community development process is very very good at making standard
collaborative platforms.  Modifications, customizations, and value
added features are best handled by ISV.

david