[Sugar-devel] More concrete design for easily installable device extensions?

Gabriel Eirea geirea at gmail.com
Mon May 11 13:10:45 EDT 2009

>> Would it be possible to devise an extension architecture that would
>> allow to install extensions without root access? This would be very
>> helpful for us.
>
> A more feasible solution might to focus on rainbow, or another
> security solution, and give users root when they upgrade.

Well, yes, but that is out of our control. This requires convincing
Latu to do that.

I'm just looking for a way to deal with the current situation. For
example, nobody in Uruguay would be able to use the frame clock unless
Latu includes it in an official update. I wish this type of addons
(that in principle don't have strong security challenges) could be
installed by the olpc user like any other activity.

Thank you,

Gabriel