[Sugar-devel] Keyboard shortcuts

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Fri May 1 13:21:45 EDT 2009

2009/5/1 Martin Dengler <martin at martindengler.com>

> On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 10:48:08AM -0600, Jameson Quinn wrote:
> > OK, the grand unified proposal for these, after discussion on IRC and the
> > above is:
> > f,j,r,s,v,p,o -> frame, journal, rotate, say, view source, screenshot
> > ("print"), overlay (unimplemented)
>
> > <alt><shift>[fjrsvp] = deprecated, but kept for emulator users on
> > MacOS.
>
> I'd say just "emulator users".
>
> > <alt>[fjrsvp] = preferred method for above, discoverable through holding
> alt
> > and reading the "cheat sheet".
> > F9-F12 = frame, journal, overlay, view source
> > This order is changed from the XO, because of netbook keyboards missing
> > dedicated F11/F12 keys. I'm agnostic about view source needing a
> dedicated
> > key.
>
> I don't see the need for <alt>[fjrsvp]: we have frame, journal, and
> some-netbooks-share-F11-and-F12 comment), and we have the existing,
> ubiquitous fallbacks of <alt><shift>[...].  Why deprecate the existing
> combinations in favor of combinations that are more likely to clash
> with existing applications?

Because the <alt> keys are more consistent and discoverable. That's also why
I don't just say "emulator users" above; the new keys would be available to
non-mac emulator users. Finally, note that if the <alt> keys never get to
sugar in macOS emulation, then activities already should be avoiding them.

> > Insert = frame (redundant)
>
> What about CapsLock for Macs (non-emulation)?

Honestly, if we want a consistent and more-useful remapping of CapsLock, we
should consider making it control_R. But I'm ready to let others decide
this, it's not a big deal for me.