[Sugar-devel] Keyboard shortcuts

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Fri May 1 13:10:24 EDT 2009

On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 10:48:08AM -0600, Jameson Quinn wrote:
> OK, the grand unified proposal for these, after discussion on IRC and the
> above is:
> f,j,r,s,v,p,o -> frame, journal, rotate, say, view source, screenshot
> ("print"), overlay (unimplemented)

> <alt><shift>[fjrsvp] = deprecated, but kept for emulator users on
> MacOS.

I'd say just "emulator users".

> <alt>[fjrsvp] = preferred method for above, discoverable through holding alt
> and reading the "cheat sheet".
> F9-F12 = frame, journal, overlay, view source
> This order is changed from the XO, because of netbook keyboards missing
> dedicated F11/F12 keys. I'm agnostic about view source needing a dedicated
> key.

I don't see the need for <alt>[fjrsvp]: we have frame, journal, and
some-netbooks-share-F11-and-F12 comment), and we have the existing,
ubiquitous fallbacks of <alt><shift>[...].  Why deprecate the existing
combinations in favor of combinations that are more likely to clash
with existing applications?

> Insert = frame (redundant)

What about CapsLock for Macs (non-emulation)?

Martin