[Sugar-devel] fonts in pyabiword

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 13:27:19 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 6:45 PM, sumit singh<sumit.coder at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was trying to use different fonts ( other than the ones available on
> xo)  in write activity which uses pyabiword. I included some of the
> fonts in the combo box from where we can select the font family, some
> of them being- Stencil, Times New Roman, DevLys 010 , Dejuvu serif.
> Now, when I selected any of them and set the font using the
> abiword_canvas.set_font_name command, and started writing, the change
> doesn't appeared on the xo screen because xo doesn't have got these
> fonts as of now, and some default font appeared on the screen instead.
>
> However, when I transferred the same document to my laptop and opened
> it using normal abiword, the changed fonts appeared correctly on the
> screen, I mean wherever I used stencil, the font was like stencil and
> so on.
>
> So, I would like to know is there any way using which I can make the
> changed fonts appear on the xo screen. I mean can I include such fonts
> in my activity bundle so that they are used by the xo when I try to
> set the font on it.

While per application/activity fonts are not supported, I suggest you
can try to install the fonts in your system during activity startup.
The font files should be copied to $HOME/.fonts and to be sure that
the fonts get "registered", run the command fc-cache, and then you can
start up your activity.

I notice that Times New Roman is in your font list. Be careful with
that, since it comes with a number of restrictions wrt redistribution
- see http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/ and
http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/eula.htm for the details.

Thanks,
Sayamindu