[Sugar-devel] Fwd: Google Summer of Code 2009 is a go!

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Tue Jan 13 00:04:50 EST 2009

> What scope of software projects is SL interested in mentoring this year?

See http://sugarlabs.org/go/Summer_of_Code, which (afaik) reflects the
current state of plans.

> I am concerned that this program may make the typical first-year
> mistake of treating SoC like an opportunity to get free coding for
> known projects, rather than an opportunity to mentor rewarding
> internships for motivated and talented students.

I've asked Leslie (who runs the GSoC program at Google) as well as other
GSoC alumni how SL can avoid n00b org mistakes, so thanks for the
heads-up on this one.

I am puzzled, though; are these two things mutually exclusive? In any
case, students will be proposing their own projects, as is usual with
GSoC; what we're talking about is kickstarting their proposal thinking
by listing known projects of the *type* they could take on (thought they
may think the listed projects are the most rewarding they could do,
that's fine as well), that SL developers themselves find interesting and
important. Understanding what's hard and what's important to a community
makes it far easier to join and participate in it, at least in my
experience.

> A gsoc program that does not
> support activity development or activity toolchains would be
> dramatically different.

It would be quite different. Is this bad? OLPC, SL, and the software
projects they work on were also in a dramatically different state a year
ago. Can you help me understand your concerns with the current SL GSoC plan?

 > Jameson, I'm not sure in what sense you were delegated to ask
 > questions about GSOC and SL/OLPC, but I hope you will participate in
 > this thread.

Jameson graciously offered (thank you, Jameson!) to find out some things
about this year's GSoC program since I've been pretty swamped the last
few days and had earlier offered to take on the responsibility for
coordinating SL's GSoC efforts for 2009. (This has been publicly
discussed and documented; see
http://sugarlabs.org/go/MarketingTeam/Meetings/12-2-2008 and
http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/marketing/2008-December/000116.html
and such.) I'm always happy to share my responsibilities, though, as I
tend to have this habit of working myself out of a job. ;-)

Hope this helps,

--Mel