[Sugar-devel] Fwd: Google Summer of Code 2009 is a go!

Samuel Klein sj at laptop.org
Mon Jan 12 18:10:48 EST 2009

What scope of software projects is SL interested in mentoring this year?

I am concerned that this program may make the typical first-year
mistake of treating SoC like an opportunity to get free coding for
known projects, rather than an opportunity to mentor rewarding
internships for motivated and talented students.

In particular, the vast majority of promising original proposals OLPC
saw last year were from students working on their own activities or
platforms to support activity creation.  A gsoc program that does not
support activity development or activity toolchains would be
dramatically different.

Similarly, OLPC SoC projects related to core components and critical
paths, or pieces of a large puzzle, have often led to frustration.
Your Mentorship May Vary!

Jameson, I'm not sure in what sense you were delegated to ask
questions about GSOC and SL/OLPC, but I hope you will participate in
this thread.

SJ