[IAEP] food for thought...

Sean Linton sean at lpnz.org
Thu Aug 25 18:19:50 EDT 2011

Perhaps recently the culture of mathematics education, at least since
Newton's *Principia *has been just that, *principles* handed down
a perceived hierarchy, from a *prince*. May be based on
genuinely useful descriptions and definitions, but as the Garfunkel article
in the NYTimes suggests not really reflective of the pan-archy in which we
find ourselves today, where many types of mathematical skill set need to be
acknowledged for our inter-networked society.

A better mathematics education might involve less "abstract reasoning", but
also generally less heralding by teachers of untestable *principles* to
students who are not yet equipped to decide for themselves. Let the children
decide in what way a mathematical concept is a useful description by
building implicitly ('abstract', 'reason', 'energy',  . . . concepts which
bind things together; *Ratio Legis*) from the ground up, *à* la Bronowski's
*The Ascent of Man *for example. Describe before you prescribe . . . or
ascribe to George Bush a *principle* of *punishing failure* to pass standard
tests?

Who or what was Math anyway that ¡ all the children in the world ! really
need to be doing his home work every night?

; D
XO
Sean