[IAEP] food for thought...

Steve Thomas sthomas1 at gosargon.com
Thu Aug 25 17:19:11 EDT 2011

Alan,

Okay, I'll bite, I can see how you believe the "standard curriculum" is way
off, but what part of their proposed solution do you disagree with and where
do you see as the preferred paths?"

In particular in the article they state "*Science and math were originally
discovered together, and they are best learned together now." which I assume
you agree with based on past writings.*

I can see how you might disagree that learning Latin has no value (I have
learned a lot from attempting to learn smalltalk).

My fear in what the authors suggest is that the "real world" problems will
be like what I saw in 1902 textbook Algebra Text by
Milne<http://books.google.com/books?id=DhU4AAAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=inauthor:%22William+James+Milne%22&hl=en&ei=27VWTvfzIqjd0QGLo6DRDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=book-preview-link&resnum=5&ved=0CEEQuwUwBA#v=onepage&q&f=false>
  which I found in an ice cream shop on Cape Cod (I only go to the best ice
cream shoppes ;)  The book was filled with "real world" problems (and little
visualizations or age appropriate concrete tasks/objects kids could relate
to) for ex:
[image:
books?id=DhU4AAAAMAAJ&pg=PA356&img=1&zoom=3&hl=en&sig=ACfU3U1k1CWXvlkhypODoZuTWebG14bH1Q&ci=93%2C458%2C873%2C105&edge=0]

I look forward to your response, the destruction of my existing beliefs and
being freed to learn :)

Stephen