[IAEP] food for thought...

mokurai at earthtreasury.org mokurai at earthtreasury.org
Sun Aug 28 00:12:00 EDT 2011

Sorry, Sean, but as Wolfgang Pauli used to say, "Not even wrong."

On Thu, August 25, 2011 6:19 pm, Sean Linton wrote:
> Perhaps recently the culture of mathematics education, at least since
> Newton's *Principia *

Euclid's Elements, please. Principia is a book of physics, not math, and
you are late by two millennia. Newton's full title is Mathematical
Principles of Natural Philosophy.

> has been just that, *principles* handed down
> a perceived hierarchy, from a *prince*. May be based on
> genuinely useful descriptions and definitions, but as the Garfunkel
> article
> in the NYTimes suggests not really reflective of the pan-archy in which we
> find ourselves today, where many types of mathematical skill set need to
> be
> acknowledged for our inter-networked society.

See
http://replacingtextbooks.wordpress.com/2011/07/28/what-do-mathematicians-and-scientists-do-all-day/

> A better mathematics education might involve less "abstract reasoning",
> but
> also generally less heralding by teachers of untestable *principles* to
> students who are not yet equipped to decide for themselves. Let the
> children
> decide in what way a mathematical concept is a useful description by
> building implicitly ('abstract', 'reason', 'energy',  . . . concepts which
> bind things together; *Ratio Legis*) from the ground up, *à* la
> Bronowski's
> *The Ascent of Man *for example.

No thank you. A fine expositor, Bronowski, but not for primary school
children. Jean Piaget is your man for unraveling how children come to form
mathematical ideas. Hint: Not like grownups, and even less as grownups
imagine.

> Describe before you prescribe . . . or
> ascribe to George Bush a *principle* of *punishing failure* to pass
> standard tests?

???

See http://samanthadouglas.wordpress.com/2011/07/28/give-100-percent/

> Who or what was Math anyway that ¡ all the children in the world ! really
> need to be doing his home work every night?

???

Sour grapes?

What mean all these mysteries to me
Whose life is full of indices and surds?
x²+7x+53
= 11/3

Lewis Carroll, A Tangled Tale

> ; D

;<{Þ}}}

...Euclid alone
Has looked on beauty bare. Fortunate they,
Who though once only, and then but far away
Have heard her massive sandal set on stone.

Edna St. Vincent Millay