[IAEP] The Children's Library On OLPC project

Jim Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 12:00:49 EDT 2009

Albert,

I don't disagree with much that you have said here.  The reason I
supported zipped text files to begin with was because that's one of
the formats Project Gutenberg provides.  As for PDFs, an enormous
number of PDF's are available from the Internet Archive and every one
of them is produced by scanning full book pages whether they include
illustrations or not.  Now this may not be the best way to create a
PDF, and in fact is probably as bad as you can get.  But it is a
*large* source of really valuable content.  And you can't store many
books in that format on an XO.  You *can* store as many as a child is
likely to want to keep on there if the child chooses the books
himself.

In any case, whether you store a compressed book or the original file
the Journal is a perfectly adequate place to put it.

James Simmons