[IAEP] The Next Wave of Activity Sharing

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Sat Jul 25 04:45:32 EDT 2009

[adding IAEP to cc]

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 10:09, Bastien<bastienguerry at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Joshua Eddy <joshuageddy at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> This is what Sugar Labs DC wants to bring to the table.  For a more
>> detailed description of this idea, please visit my blog:
>> http://joshstechjournal.blogspot.com/
>
> Nice idea!  Thanks for sharing it.
>
> I presume ideally the config options would offer a website to publish
> to, along with the Jabber service.

I love the idea of having a site for children to share their work, I
think this is going to be really big hit for Sugar. Congratulations on
taking this task.

We have been already discussing this in #sugar during the last week
with Jeff and Aleksey and several good ideas were shared, will be nice
to put all our thoughts in common when we get to more detail.

A somewhat minor concern I have with your proposal is that I'm not
sure that just one global server will be enough for everybody. What
about areas with local network but none or little internet access? If
on the other hand deployments can set their own server as Bastien
suggests, how would a child upload to the global one when connection
conditions improve?

One could imagine that the control panel would allow to set a list of
servers and the Publish menu item becomes a submenu where you can
select the server to upload to, but things get complicated fast with
maybe not too much value.

What I would propose instead, based on my experience, is to start by
the very basics and build on that after getting some feedback from
actual users. I see how a publish menu item in the activity palette or
the journal makes it easier than having to go to a specific site in
Browse, but if you restrict the modifications at first to Browse, then
you can install your new activity version on any existing Sugar
version.

There's still a lot to discuss, feel free to ask any questions but
better do so in the Sugar Labs mailing lists, as OLPC is not doing
Sugar development any more: http://lists.sugarlabs.org

Regards,

Tomeu