[IAEP] The Children's Library On OLPC project

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Sat Jul 25 05:15:45 EDT 2009

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 04:37:07AM -0400, Albert Cahalan wrote:
> Jim Simmons writes:
>
> > A Journal entry consists of a file plus metadata.  There is no real
> > advantage in NOT storing the book in the Journal.  You can convert
> > whatever book format you're reading into a zipped archive of same on
> > reading it for the first time then mark the Journal entry with Read's
> > activity id.  This would give the Journal entry Read's icon and make
> > it resumable by Read.  I do something like this with Read Etexts when
> > it reads a plain text file.  I'm not trying to save disk space in this
> > case; I need to add a pickle file to the archive to store annotations,
> > so I create a new Zip file and store the text and the pickle in it.
>
> This encapsulation makes it more difficult for people to share
> books with non-Sugar users. If a Sugar user provides a PDF to a
> Windows user, Adobe Acrobat should recognize it. Likewise for
> sharing with MacOS X and GNOME users.
>
> Putting a bit of non-critical metadata on a file is not a reason
> to be changing the file format. Normally an xattr would be used to
> store this data. (hopefully the Journal is xattr compatible)

But what about preview metadata field..

The current approach which was chosen in[1] is using object bundle if
we want to preserve sugar metadata and use raw files otherwise[2].
So, to library.sugarlabs.org[3] Browse will upload object bundles.
Moreover library.sl.o server could return .xo files if web client is
Browse and plain Journal entries otherwise(for non-sugar users).

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Object_Bundles
[2] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Object_Bundles#User_Experience
[3] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Server_Objects_Sharing

--