[IAEP] Sugar in a Plug

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 08:09:32 EDT 2009

FWIW, in the schools Caroline and I are piloting this summer, we are
using USB cable extenders. This has at least three advantages:

(1) easier for the kids to find where to insert the key... no reaching
around the back of computers;
(2) if the key is bumped, the cable moves, but neither the key or the
USB slot are damaged;
(3) less wear and tear on the USB connector--yes, they do wear out.

-walter

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 2:13 AM, Sean DALY<sdaly.be at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is totally true, a protruding stick is asking for trouble.
>
> I usually use SD Cards, most netbooks have slots.
>
> Well-designed machines (XO-1, EeePC, Dell education Latitude 2100)
> keep the cards recessed, flush with an edge; no protrusion=no
> accidents
>
> other machines protrude even the SD Card, such as the Dell Mini 10.
>
> Sean
>

> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 7:01 AM, Mike Lee<curiouslee at gmail.com> wrote:
>> One of the things I find precarious about Sugar on a Stick with normal USB
>> drives on laptops or netbooks is how far they protrude from the side. I
>> always feel the risk of an accidental knock against the USB drive, which
>> would break it off from the plug.
>>
>> The gadget blogs recently showed what was billed as the world's smallest
>> MicroSD card adapter called the EagleTec NanoSac. I bought one from Brando
>> Hong Kong to try out with a 2gb MicroSD card. It took about three weeks to
>> arrive.
>>
>> The Strawberry release of Sugar loaded fine onto the MicroSD card through
>> the adapter using LiveCD creator. I then switched the boot order in the BIOS
>> of the Sun tower that made the Sugar Stick and rebooted. Sugar started up
>> perfectly. See my photos:
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/curiouslee/sets/72157621240681653/
>>
>> It was kind of amazing to see a device less than the volume of a sugar cube
>> take over a tower PC and 24" LCD monitor.
>>
>> Cost was around USD $30 for the adapter and card.
>>
>> Mike
>> http://www.olpclearningclub.org

Walter Bender
Sugar Labs