[Sugar-devel] Home view activities layout

Frederick Grose fgrose at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 18:39:25 EDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 5:58 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 1:28 PM, Frederick Grose <fgrose at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 12:22 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>
> > wrote:

>> {...}

There is an orthogonal question,
> >> which is if we let the icons move (as with the new spiral and the old
> >> random arrangements, how do we tell it to reset to the original
> >> layout? My less-than-satisfactory  solution is to have one button for
> >> reseting and one fr switching in the secondary menu.
> >
> > What is the information value of an earlier than previous pattern view?
> (If
> > that's what you are asking.)
>
> In the new spiral I have implements, the user can drag icons around on
> the screen, much like in the Random View. The question is, how to
> restore the spiral if that is what you want?

I see, this would *not* be a purely-fixed Spiral pattern
with re-sortable elements, nor a standard Freeform initiated by the fixed
pattern, but a hybrid class that allows restoration to the last Spiral
before moving elements off the fixed pattern. (Otherwise, with the current
behavior, for the Ring, at least, the most-recently moved element would
occupy the central position and next previously-moved element the next
clockwise position).

If that feature were important, perhaps, we could implement it through named
grouped views (more value and effort) or provide an undo history button on
the pattern's sub-sub palette.

           --Fred

-walter