[Systems] translate.sl.o

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 10:13:35 EDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 12:04 AM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at sugarlabs.org>wrote:

> Does Pootle support exporting and importing po files? This would solve
> the problem for translators who prefer to (or have to) work off-line.

Absolutely, download / upload options are on the Translate tab.

Download options include entire project as zip (e.g. Honey) and individual
PO files.  Upload options include 1) overwrite file, 2) merge file adding
conflicts as suggestions and 3) merge file, uploading all new translations
as suggestions.

An off-line option is essential and well supported in the context of using
Pootle as the source of PO files and final repository for completed work.
QA review using pofilter can occur after upload or prior (if Translate
Toolkit is locally installed).

I've been meaning to work on some documentation on various possible
approaches to off-line L10n work.  I think that by working with Sebastian on
indigenous languages in South America, a reasonable set of procedural
options can be defined and documented on the wiki as a by-product.  I've
already got some ideas I'd like to explore  (e.g. poswap for L10n from
Spanish>Aymara instead of English>Aymara with poswap back to English for
upload; use of Virtaal on XOs in the GNOME boot as a L10n editor, etc.) .
This sort of discussion should take place on the L10n to benefit from others
who have worked off-line efforts and to put it on the record for future use
by others.

cjl