[Systems] translate.sl.o

Bernie Innocenti bernie at sugarlabs.org
Mon Apr 18 23:48:45 EDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-04-18 at 11:54 -0500, Rafael Ortiz wrote:

> Although this off-line workflow  would save us a lot of headaches,
> imo is a work overhead  both for translators and activity devs, we
> must  make the work needed to do activities on  sugar, the most
> pleasant one.

Perhaps it's because I'm a geek, but if I were translateing Sugar to
Italian I'd appreciate using my favorite text editor, without any
network delay and with the ability to test the new strings immediately
in Sugar.

I can see how humans may prefer a simple web interface over a text
editor, but how do they test their work when they work in Pootle?

Let me guess it: they don't test at all! :-)

This would also explain why so many translations look awkward or out of
context.

To check if Pootle is really necessary, I'd like to see the list of the
10 most active translators and see how many of them wouldn't be able to
work directly with the po file.

For those unfamiliar with gettext, this is what a translation file may
look like:

----------8<-----------8<-----------8<-----------8<-----------8<----------
#: ../extensions/cpsection/aboutcomputer/view.py:147
msgid "Wireless Firmware:"
msgstr "Firmware de la red inalámbrica:"

#: ../extensions/cpsection/aboutcomputer/view.py:170
msgid "Copyright and License"
msgstr "Licencia y derechos de autor"

#: ../extensions/cpsection/aboutcomputer/view.py:188
msgid ""
"Sugar is the graphical user interface that you are looking at. Sugar is free "
"software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are welcome to "
"change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions described "
"therein."
msgstr ""
"Azucar es la interfaz gráfica de usuario que usted esta mirando. Azucar es "
"software libre, cubierto bajo la licencia GNU Licencia Publica General, y "
"esta invitado a cambiarla y/o distribuir copias bajo ciertas condiciones que "
"se describen en ella."

#: ../extensions/cpsection/aboutcomputer/view.py:200
msgid "Full license:"
msgstr "Licencia completa:"

#: ../extensions/cpsection/datetime/__init__.py:21
msgid "Date & Time"
msgstr "Fecha y hora"
----------8<-----------8<-----------8<-----------8<-----------8<----------
New translators start with an empty message catalog template, to be
filled-in:

----------8<-----------8<-----------8<-----------8<-----------8<----------
#: ../extensions/cpsection/aboutcomputer/view.py:146
msgid "Wireless Firmware:"
msgstr ""

#: ../extensions/cpsection/aboutcomputer/view.py:169
msgid "Copyright and License"
msgstr ""

#: ../extensions/cpsection/aboutcomputer/view.py:184
msgid ""
"Sugar is the graphical user interface that you are looking at. Sugar is free "
"software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are welcome to "
"change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions described "
"therein."
msgstr ""

#: ../extensions/cpsection/aboutcomputer/view.py:196
msgid "Full license:"
msgstr ""

--
Bernie Innocenti