[Systems] Wiki: Search text entry missing

Frederick Grose fgrose at sugarlabs.org
Wed Sep 15 16:10:51 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 2:26 PM, Sascha Silbe <
sascha-ml-reply-to-2010-3 at silbe.org> wrote:

> Excerpts from Frederick Grose's message of Wed Sep 15 18:07:42 +0200 2010:
>
> > > The input field for entering search terms is missing, even in the HTML
> > > code:
> [...]
>
> > Could this be the cause,
> >
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:UsabilityInitiative#SimpleSearch_module
> >  ?
>
> Maybe, I can't tell. The HTML code doesn't contain anything that would
> point to this extension, nor is there any useful description of it on
> the page you mentioned. :-/
>
> > Setting another skin may alter this behavior...?
>
> Yes, changing the skin from ShikiWiki to Classic makes the search work
> again (apart from significantly altering the layout of all pages, so
> I've changed it right back). Is that enough information for you to fix
> it?

I've commented out $wgVectorUseSimpleSearch in wiki-devel/LocalSettings.php.
Does http://wiki-devel.sugarlabs.org with the Vector skin provide the
behavior you desire?

I think Josh hardcoded ShikiWiki.php to match the single button search
behavior.

The new search is consider a usability feature for Vector by the Usability
Initiative, but I don't see that we are getting search suggestions or other
benefits.

        --Fred