[Systems] [IT] Bandwidth usage on bender

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-systems at silbe.org
Wed Aug 5 02:40:41 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 11:56:33PM +0200, Giovanni Bajo wrote:

[ingress policing set up on bender]
> Thanks!
Actually, thanks to you for hosting our VMs! I didn't mention it
yesterday because I was tired and just wanted to go to bed (but not
without at least setting up a workaround - interfering with VoIP traffic
is unacceptable), but we are quite grateful for that.

> Actually, this works only if there is some sort of flow control
> kicking in.
There isn't anything running on the VMs that could cause large UDP
flows. Unless Sebastian installed some custom software that does (which
I doubt), it must have been a TCP flow that caused the bandwidth spike.

>> BTW: Is there any HTTP proxy we could/should use? I image at least
>> some of the distros running on our VMs are used by Develer as well,
>> so sharing a proxy would reduce the (internet) traffic for updates.
> We maily use Ubuntu desktops and we have setup one apt proxy:
>    Acquire::http::Proxy "http://aptcache:3142/apt-cacher/";
OK, will use that instance when I set up a Ubuntu VM, thanks!

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/
http://www.infra-silbe.de/