[Systems] [IT] Bandwidth usage on bender

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Tue Aug 4 17:56:33 EDT 2009

On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 22:29:06 +0200, Sascha Silbe
<sascha-ml-ui-sugar-systems at silbe.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 06:02:14PM +0200, Giovanni Bajo wrote:
>
>> 2) Keep using IPv6 tunnels, but make sure that *all* the traffic onto
>> it is limited to ~1Mbit/s (*without* any burst: we can't allow more
>> than that in any single moment). This would mean that you need to
>> shape it with tc on Bender *and* on all the remote hosts accessing to
>> it.
> I've added traffic policing at 512kbit/s (burst 10kbit) on the IPv6
> tunnel interface (sixxs) on bender for now:
>
> bender:~# tc qdisc add dev sixxs handle ffff: ingress
> bender:~# tc filter add dev sixxs parent ffff: protocol ipv6 prio 50 u32
> match u8 0 0 police rate 512kbit burst 10k drop flowid :1
>
> This should take us to the safe side so we can investigate calmly what
> is causing the traffic.

Thanks!

Actually, this works only if there is some sort of flow control kicking in.
I would hope so, given that ayiya is UDP but encapsulates TCP packets at
the end of the day; so the endpoint should end up without its acks and slow
down.

> BTW: Is there any HTTP proxy we could/should use? I image at least some
> of the distros running on our VMs are used by Develer as well, so
> sharing a proxy would reduce the (internet) traffic for updates.

We maily use Ubuntu desktops and we have setup one apt proxy:
   Acquire::http::Proxy "http://aptcache:3142/apt-cacher/";

Anyway, it's really only the UDP spikes that worry me.
--
Giovanni Bajo
Develer S.r.l.