[Systems] [IT] Bandwidth usage on bender

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-systems at silbe.org
Tue Aug 4 16:29:06 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 06:02:14PM +0200, Giovanni Bajo wrote:

> 2) Keep using IPv6 tunnels, but make sure that *all* the traffic onto
> it is limited to ~1Mbit/s (*without* any burst: we can't allow more
> than that in any single moment). This would mean that you need to
> shape it with tc on Bender *and* on all the remote hosts accessing to
> it.
I've added traffic policing at 512kbit/s (burst 10kbit) on the IPv6
tunnel interface (sixxs) on bender for now:

bender:~# tc qdisc add dev sixxs handle ffff: ingress
bender:~# tc filter add dev sixxs parent ffff: protocol ipv6 prio 50 u32
match u8 0 0 police rate 512kbit burst 10k drop flowid :1

This should take us to the safe side so we can investigate calmly what
is causing the traffic.

BTW: Is there any HTTP proxy we could/should use? I image at least some
of the distros running on our VMs are used by Develer as well, so
sharing a proxy would reduce the (internet) traffic for updates.

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/
http://www.infra-silbe.de/